Wednesday, May 23, 2012

bill and rosi

Hello Family,

I went walking this morning and this is what I sang:
Blue skies smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies do I see
Bluebirds singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds all day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my, how they fly

Bing Crosby use to sing this song.   A happy, pleasant, positive tune with lyrics.   Our sky was so blue, not a cloud (or difficulty) in it.

This week's recipe:

Lorraine's Spaghetti
This is Grandma Mathews recipe for her famous spaghetti.  In the past two weeks I have made two batches and both have been applauded.  I thought I should pass it along before I forget what I did.  (Other famous dishes prepared by Lorraine includes potato salad, applesauce cake and fried rabbit.   I think that I will pass on the rabbit, but if you'd really like it, I will give it a try.)

1 lb ground beef, browned and drained of fat
26.5 oz  Hunt's Spaghetti Sauce   (mushroom or traditional is best)
1 small can tomato sauce
minced, dried, onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic  (I like the type that you buy in a jar and keep in the fridge)
about 2 teaspoons Oregano
1 teaspoon basil
2-3 tablespoons of pickling spice and add some crushed red pepper (both are found in the  spice area of your grocery store)
         Pour pickling spice and crushed red pepper into the center of a circle of cheese cloth.  gather up the edges and tie off the spices with an elastic.  Trim off excess   
         fabric with scissors.


Combine all ingredients in crock pot and stir.   Cook on low for about 4 hours.  Combine cooked spaghetti noodles with sauce and serve.

Word of the week:

Toxic:  poisonous; many things can be poisonous including foods and relationships.  

Saturday Dad and I went with old friends from the Reno area up to the Cancer Huntsman Center to visit our mutual friends, Reneal and Bob Trimble.  Their names are Lizanne and Orson.  I want to tell you a story about our early friendship with these folks.

Grandma Rosi and Wasps

As a young girl, I was always afraid of wasps and their relatives.  Early on, if a wasp came into our house, I would leave.  One time, while in school at Utah State, I was driving and a wasp flew in the window.  I stopped the car in the middle of the road and ran.  Once I married Grandpa he gradually convinced me that I wasps were not so dangerous and that if I would stay calm it would be okay.  So.....   One weekend we spent a weekend in the Sierra Nevadas with Lizanne and Orson.  (Lizanne is a real fisherwoman.  Rosi is not.)  The trip was a fishing trip and Orson and I went along for the ride. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this delicious sounding recipe. 
     
    And yes, please give us the fried rabbit recipe as well!
     

    ReplyDelete