Tuesday, May 1, 2012

adam and becky

Good day to you all.  I suppose that I'll get in on the conversations too.  I can't let Becky do all the typing anyway.  With the amount of papers and projects that she has been working on, I imagine her fingers are tired.  We are sure excited about the end of the semester coming up.  It has been a whirlwind this year and the short respite from the daily grind will be well received by us.  There is just one more big push before we can put our feet up though.  That's right GSA!... and finals!  The Geological Society of America has its meeting here in ABQ this year and we are both going to be involved.  Becky will be leading some field trips s well as presenting an overview of her PhD project in a poster session.  I will be once again putting our minerals and a bunch of my glass up for sale.  Some of you may have seen images of one of the crystals that I am making now.  The series has a whole lot of room to grow and I have been learning a lot of new techniques to produce quality, finished pieces of art.  Mostly, that means that I have been working with sheet metal, creating bases and sculptural elements to mount these new glass pieces on.  

I have to take a moment to reflect on the positive side of tough situations.  If you remember, I used to work for a glass artist who was a real bully and had me tucking my tail and feeling really trapped and negative. Thanks to Marlies, Becky and Nick (my cousin) for helping me see the necessity to quit that job and abusive situation.  Well, I am far out enough though that I can see all the great things that I learned from that job though.  My boss was really great with metal, a material that I had not ever worked before.  I evidently learned a lot, because now it is all coming together.  So, just remember that when you are in a tough spot, there is always something positive to find hidden in all the rough.

On a lighter side, Elizabeth is chugging along.  She is learning to let us know what she wants and does not want.  When we ask if she wants "blank" she will either sing "No, NO, no" and gently push it away or she will give an emphatic growl, single head nod and short "yes" sound.  Sometimes I have to point at quite a few thing before I get the "yes."  Really , she growls a lot when she is happy.  It makes us LAUGH... A lot.  She has also created a bunch of little games for herself.  She has always enjoyed making piles of things and then moving the pile to a new place.  Back and forth she goes.  Now she has little jars which she runs around filling with either rocks from the yard or water from the wheel barrow that I fill for her to play in.  She likes to fill the cup holders on our outside chairs with rocks.  We also have a game where I hide some painted rocks around our outside rock garden and then she goes around looking for them and making a pile near my feet.  What a joy.  

Fun to hear about baseball season down in Texas.  We need some pics of little Kole and his siblings.  Good luck to Ben for his bicycle road trek.  That is a big round trip.  

Well, this is the Frus Family signing off.  Talk with you all again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment