Monday, February 13, 2012

bill and rosi

Hi Guys!!

Hope you are having a nice Sabbath morning.  We woke up to rain that is now turned into quite a snow storm.  I am glad that it is not a week day.  I can stay home and enjoy it.

I have forwarded an email to you from Robert (Bob) Trimble.   Most of you are aware that they are some of our good friends from Reno.   She has leukemia and is very ill.  My heart hurts for them.   (Bob is the guy I held hands with in the movie on one side and held hands with Dad on the other side.  Tee hee)

Becky wanted the recipe for the Lorraine Mathews' applesauce cake.  (I thought that I would just ship it to all of you.)  This has been Dad's favorite since he was a little boy.  The problem is that Rosi's effort at making this cake never measures up with Lorraine's.  (even in my own eyes.)  She used wine...  I use egg.  I think that is the difference.

Mathews Applesauce Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup applesauce (stir in 1 tsp soda.  Let it sit for 5 minutes.   It "sours" the applesauce)
1 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped nuts (if desired)
2 small or 1 large egg
Cloves, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
     (over a tsp each.   Lorraine used tons...  until the batter turned brown.)
2 cups flour


Stir big time.   Grease an 9 square pan (or equivalent)
Bake at 360 for 40 to 50 minutes    ENJOY

My Concert   "Music from the Movies"   is going well.   I spent all of yesterday (Saturday) putting the technical issues together.  It is a big job.  I am a bit crazy.  But you know what?  It is satisfying and brings me joy.  It also has a profound effect on about 250 kids.  Dad is very patient.  He NEVER complains.  He has come to the school a couple of days this week and just sat in the audience and watched.  I look at him occasionally and he is smiling.  Thank you Big Bill.  That is what I call him when I introduce him to the kids or talk to them about him.  "My Big Bill".  Yesterday he did all of the laundry and when I came home my undies were all carefully folded and in my drawer.  Isn't that nice?

We stopped out at Luke's to wish him a happy birthday this week.  It was so good to be in their home.  They have such a beautiful family.  Little Parker is growing like a week.

Nick came with kiddos Friday night and we went to a Utah State Alumni Sweetheart's Dinner at the old Court house in Provo.  It was so nice.  Great food and awesome program.   A guitar and clarinet ensemble.  Professors from USU.  World Class.  WE LOVED IT or at least Rosi did.

Have a wonderful week.   We sure love you guys.

Mom

 Claire is sitting on my lap.  She just woke up.  She has her frog blankee.  It is pink and green.  She is awesome.  She is sad because when she woke up she accidentely woke up her brother, Matthew.  I am writing this note to my Aunt's and Uncles.  Claire says "HELLO COUSINS.  COME AND SEE ME!!!!!"

Bye bye for now Friends!

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment