Tuesday, July 3, 2012

bill and rosi

Hello,

The first day of July, 2012... wow!  The month to celebrate our nation.   There are 8 range and forest fires raging in our state.  Hope the fireworks don't create yet more problems.

Family news:

I hope that you have all had a good week.  It has been nice to visit with several of you.  Nick and family have been here, Marlies arrived tonight, Luke's family is in California (we saw them before they left last week.  They stopped into the Institute and I was able to introduce the family to the teachers and students there.  I was very proud to do so.) So sorry Jill, for the loss of your nephew.  Becky has been braiding hair (her own and EJ's;  cute, cute) and Benny sounded awesome tonight on the telephone.  Dad is 6th in the ward in "Indexing", a genealogical project (and he is this moment at the computer typing in names.)  Grandma Rosi is up to her eyeballs in opera ...  staging scenes from Dido and Aeneas and The Marriage of Figaro.  One more huge week and our 6th Institute season is over.  We will be moving to a new location next year and I have been doing some research on that project.  Both Utah State University and the University of Utah are VERY interested in having our Institute relocate to their facilities.  It has felt good to find a couple of hot spots that might work out for us.

Not a lot to say tonight.  I will share with you one of the musings that I have written this summer.  I think about little stories that come to me as I walk.  The prose is not polished, but I figure if I get started and keep trying my writing will improve:

My Dad

My Silver-haired Daddy has always been
            My safety net and my true king pin
As a girl he taught me the values I cherish
Honesty, virtue and an eternal marriage

A quiet love and deep hurt at the passing of my Mom
We have shared in common from that day on.
The pain was unspoken but we both knew
That life without Alyce would be lonely and blue.

Dad accepted and embraced my husband, Bill
And was often there to listen when my voice I would trill
The tunes from operas and recital fare
And other unpleasantness he would have to bear

The six grandchildren we brought to his family tree
Were sacred special spirits he valued without fee
He purchased a pony for them to ride
And pulled them on sleighs often skinning their hide.

But when at hard moments my mind would roam,
To thoughts of Paradise, my true ancestral home.
The vision of my Daddy would feed and comfort me
As I struggled with life’s problems I felt cradled on his knee.

We love you all..   nothing has changed there.  We care about each and every one of you.  

Wisdom from Mom:  Be good and keep a stiff upper lip.

Grandma Rosi

No comments:

Post a Comment