Friday, September 24, 2021

Genealogical Questions 16 &17

Did you ever go hungry as a child?  

Bill:
No. My favorite foods were mush (cereal) and steak (both of my parents cooked.)
My favorite dishes that Mom cooked were spaghetti and chili. Mom use to go to work when as a family we needed something.  Often, she would continue working once she got established in a job. Dad never talked about money. 

My Dad never went hungry even though he was alive during the depression. His Dad worked for the Government as the Assistant to the Attorney General and later was elected as the Attorney General when Bill was about 8.  But the family had what they needed when Woody was a child.  

My Mother did suffer during the depression.  Her Mother was always on church welfare as she was divorced before Lorraine was born. Lorraine use to eat bread and milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner when there was nothing else. Lily Mae's family had a farm so she could always get milk and flour to make bread. Lorraine would have to go to the welfare building to pick up the food they got because her Mother, Lily Mae, was ashamed to go. Lorraine wasn't able to have children until after her teeth were pulled.  She told both Bill and Rosemary it was because she was malnourished as a child.

Rosemary:  
No, I never went hungry.  Infact, I probably had too much to eat because I was chubby.  When Mom died, I suppose my Dad wished he could go hungry because as his cook, I fixed lots of hot dogs and fish sticks.  (Even though our freezer was full of beef and pork).  You see, I didn't know how to cook meat.  At 11, that summer's 4H classes taught us how to use hot dogs.  Hot dogs in eggs, hot dogs and fried potatoes.  Dad finally said "Rosemary, I think I have had enough hotdogs." So, then I started on fish sticks. When Arlynn came to live with us 18 months after my mom died, Arlynn fixed meat and potatoes every day for dinner.  Dad and I both loved that.  

I also loved the school lunch meals.  Emily was the older lady that cooked lunch at the Paradise Elementary School.  I remember gazing in wonder at the huge potato whipper that made mashed potatoes.  I also remember her cinnamon rolls.  It makes my mouth droll just to think about them.

Dad encourages me to tell you this story:  When we were on our honeymoon, Dad wanted to impress me.  So, he took me out to dinner at Fisherman's Wharf.  He ordered for me because I had not grown-up eating fish (except for fish sticks.) He ordered Crab alle Neurenberg for me. He knew I liked gravy and creamy things.  Dad order a Sword Fish Steak for himself.  When the meal came, I was really looking forward to it.  The waiter set my food in front of me first and after an alarmed expression I loudly said "what have you done to me".  Everyone around us turned to look at us.  Dad said, here I'll trade with you.  I agreed, thinking "now that's better".  He was really embarrassed.   

What were your favorite toys?

Bill:
We lived in Herlong California until I was 4.  I got a tiny steam roller.  They were constructing roads where we lived and they were using a great big steam roller.  I use to get my tiny steam roller and play alongside where they were constructing the road.  I got an electric train when I was about 8.  I had a lot of fun with that. My sister got a wind-up train and I never thought about how I was privileged over her until typing this up. 

The rest of the time, my favorite toy was a basketball.

Rosemary:
I loved dollies.  I can't remember names for sure, but I think one was called a "tony doll". She was beautiful.  Burnette hair. I am quite surprised that the name came to my mind.  After all, it has been 65 years since I have thought about a doll. I also loved paper dolls.  Sharon and I played with these kinds of dolls all of the time.


I was really spoiled at Christmas time when my Mom was alive. I was the only child still at home.  However, once she was gone, I spent my sad Christmas alone with my Dad. He gave me a Lone Ranger Game and a blue bathrobe.  I was still not sure if there was a real Santa Claus; I soon found out there wasn't.  Dixie gave me a beautiful ballerina doll one Christmas. I still have it.  I want Kloey to have it as my oldest granddaughter.

John use to give me books.  I liked that.  He gave me a book right after Mother died.  Something to the effect "everything a Mother would want you to know".  It was sweet.  I'm not sure if I actually read it. For Christmas he gave me several different volumes of the "Little House on the Prairie" books.  Maybe that is why I still love that show. I am sure I would have put my Zane Grey novels aside for Little House.

After Mom died, I loved my horse.  Dixie, my horse, wasn't exactly a toy, but I rode her a lot.  I would leave her tied up at the fence during the day; that way I could ride her up to the yard to dump vegetable skins, etc. to the pigs or I could ride her to the Thomas Market that was 1/2 block away from our house.  I would leave her standing to the side of the steps that led to the market and then go in and make a purchase.  I would expect her to wait there for me (Like Silver, the Lone Ranger's horse) without being tied up.  It worked pretty well.  I remember taking eggs to the store and trading them for candy.  I don't think Dad ever knew.  (There is a picture of this Market in the Archives of Cache Valley. A-0437a: Paradise, Utah, Mae E. Thomas store. Lot 5 Block 22 Plat A, Built 1894

No comments:

Post a Comment