Friday, September 24, 2021

Gen 18&19

 

  1. What were your favorite games?
  2. Was there any fashion that you liked the most?
Dad: 

  1. Basketball was my favorite sport. (He played City League and Church Basketball until he was about 55 years old.) I played almost every day in my backyard.   Most of the time by myself.  Usually, Mathews1 beat Mathews2. (Dad (Woody) built the wooden backboard and we carried it from one house to another.  Originally it was on the garage but the ground was uneven so then we moved it to the street. The curb was there.  I sprained my ankle a couple of times. Often, I played with my friends Bruce Couch and Dan Augustine (the tuba player.)  Because there was only 3 of us, I would stand Bruce and Dan and I won more than I lost.
    In high school I ran the mile in track. One time I was out running at Stewart Indian School. (It was South of Carson City.) They had a kid that ran the mile and we were pretty good friend.  One time we were out running on the back roads at Stewart.  We came across a rattlesnake that was crossing the road.  We killed it and then I took the snake to school and put it in a girl's locker.  I hung it over her coat hanger. The next morning the boys all gathered around watching her to see what would happen.  The girl was talking to the rest of her girlfriends.  She reached into her locker to get something and touched the snake. When she looked in her locker and saw it, she screamed and ran down the hallway.  We boys laughed like crazy.  The principal searched for who did it.  He never found out.  She wrote in the year book (over my picture) about her experience with the snake. Dad is laughing as he tells this story. 
  1. My favorite fashion was "nude", but I didn't see it very often; I still looked. I never thought of fashion.  Fashion is for girls. 

Mom:

  1. I loved to ride my horse, Dixie.  I guess Dad and I are thinking sports.  I also played tennis at the court on Paradise Town Square.  When in school at Paradise I played softball and volleyball.  That was lots of fun and we were pretty successful. However, my favorite "game" as a girl was a dice game called "Skunk".  I think it was 6 dice you had to roll at one time and then quickly total the number of points you'd add up from each dice.  I became really fast at addition during that time.  Even after I married Dad I could total numbers like that very quickly.  I think he was rather amazed that I actually had a "math" skill.
  2.  We always wore dresses to school.  Both elementary and High School. Darlene, one of my friends from Paradise School, wore huge skirts that her Mom would starch and iron.  There was lots of ironing in those days.  Our family tradition was to go to Ogden to shop for school clothes.  When Arlynn came along the tradition continued.  She loved "brown" and favored brown things for me.  It didn't go too far, but I remember her first taste was usually brown.  In the cold Paradise winter, we wore warm coats, gloves, hats and leggings.  Because I was the largest of all of my classmates, I got to test the winter ice to see if it was solid enough for us to go skating.  In my early years I remember one day testing the ice along our way home from school.  It was not solid and I fell through to the muck and mud beneath the ice sheet.  I sunk pretty deep and went home muddy up to the knees of my leggings.  It has kind of left a scar in my mind.  I'm sure Alyce, my Mom, was not too happy as well.  
         While in high school we girls ratted and teased our hair.  Yes, we looked like we had helmets on.  One     of my friends from Paradise turned rather wild and began ratting her hair so much that you could see daylight through it. She also wore lots of makeup.  I don't remember wearing makeup in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment