Monday, March 28, 2011

bill and rosi mathews

March 27th, 2011

Kloey’s 8th birthday

Hello Family,

I am missing you all this weekend and have been thinking about how blessed I am to have such a wonderful group of people who make up my family. Dad and I continue to pray for you all each day…. Dad in particular for his grandbabies… including Roderick, who is hardly a baby. He prays that they are safe, happy and progressing… well maybe I put a few words in his mouth. His prayers are generally very short and to the point.

Spring (Fruhling in German) is upon us here in Utah. Last night however the weather wasn’t sure as there was a heavy rain, then ice and wind pelting our windows. There was also a nice clap of thunder in the early hours. This morning is mild, sunny, wet looking and smells fresh. I went for an early walk and enjoyed every second of it.

Our thoughts turn to Kloey down there in Princeton, Texas. She is eight today and that is certainly a milestone. We are so grateful for her and the great young lady that she is becoming. We know that she is a good example to her friends and that she is an excellent big sister and daughter. We have also heard that she is a terrific student and that like her cousin, Tyler, she loves to read. (Tyler seems to read nonstop. When at our house, he is usually sitting on our couch in the living room with his head in a book.)

There has been lots of basket ball in our lives these days. Not only was Tyler playing in a league (with Amy as his coach…lucky boy) but also Amy and Luke were playing church ball. I am not sure what the outcome was for the adults. Luke’s church team may have taken the big prize. We have also been watching BYU and the Jimmer Show. Wow, he is really something. When they lost to Florida, Dad and I were so nervous it almost made us sick. At this point, I think that we have both pretty much recovered. No hospitalization was necessary. The Jazz scene is dismal. I have only worn my “Matthews” Jazz jersey to school once this year. (Matthews, the player, is playing for Portland this year.) Oh well, maybe next year. Our A Cappella Choir did have a great time singing the national anthem for their game against Detroit in January. They did win that one. Maybe we just need to sing at all of their games.

Luke recently brought Dad a small bracelet labeled “power balance performance technology”. It has seemed to give Dad added strength in his limbs. It pleased him that Luke would be so thoughtful. Now Dad says that he needs to try one around his ankles. I teasingly told him that we should both try one around our necks. We laughed.

Yesterday I asked Dad to open a large plastic storage container of oatmeal. It had been sealed at a plant somewhere and it was next to impossible to open. He worked on it for over an hour. I could see that he was frustrated, but he was determined to not let the bucket be the “winner”. He succeeded in getting enough of it to open that we were able to pour it into another container so we could use it. I have a feeling that those other storage buckets of oatmeal that are downstairs will be opened by someone else. I threw that detestable bucket in the trash this morning.

Marlies, Becky and Debbie, you will be proud of our recycling efforts. We are doing pretty well at being green in that regard. (although that above bucket went in the REGULAR TRASH!!!)

Yesterday one of my students suggested that we drive out to Nephi and have lunch at a restaurant called “The China Town”. She assured us that it would be good. We went and it was very tasty. While there, the student’s Dad came in and invited us to visit their home which he is in the process of remodeling. It is a Victorian style home and was built in the 1850’s. They had recently had a fire in one of the rooms and so the whole house has been in repair. The old windows and sills, wow, it was awesome, but what a lot of work. It was a fun little excursion. We drove on the back roads coming home…through Mona (I think that Nick’s parents are interested in that area) and Santiquin. (Ben and Tamme, there are some great pieces of property available out there…. Hint, hint)

This morning I am making Oatmeal Cookies… in honor of the deceased bucket. Wow, they are baking and they smell GOOD. (Maybe Dad’s hour of frustration was worth it.) I have also been preparing a talk for church this afternoon. I was released from the primary last week. So this week I get to speak on “the joy of service”. I have spent lots of quiet moments this week trying to figure out what to say. It seems like I go from one challenge to another. How about you? It is either preparing a lesson for sharing time, or a meeting at school, or preparing for a choir performance or tour, or going to the dentist. How do those all line up? I sure don’t know.

Becky has been busy with her challenges at school. Sure hope that your interview-- milestone check on your Masters went well. I am sure it did. You are amazing! Thanks for the pictures of beautiful Elizabeth!!

Dad and I will be flying to Dallas to spend time with Ben’s family over spring break… April 9-14th. (Kloey’s baptism.) Then we are excited to watch Claire Bear and Matthew for a couple of days. In June we will be flying to Rhode Island to spend a week with Tim and Jill. It will be so wonderful to see them and Elle and Liam. Those two kids are really changing. Thanks to both Tim and Jill for sending us pictures via the mobile phone so that we can watch their growth.

I asked Dad this morning “when was the last time that Marlies came to visit?” It has seemed like a long time, Sister. He reminded me that it was at Christmas time. That made me feel better but we would still like to see you up our way more often. We miss you!!! By the way, I think we have one of Roderick’s shirts in our closet. Black, long sleeved.

Love you all,

No comments:

Post a Comment