Monday, April 22, 2013

Rosi for Easter...


Happy Easter, Everyone!!!!   

Dad and I certainly hope that the sun is out in your part of the country...   whether that means literally or rather a "sunny (happy) day" or both.  

Petal ( BECKY'S cat) has forced her way on to my lap and is kneading my legs and rubbing her top coat under my elbows. Her "purr" is rumbling.   If I make a mistake I shall blame it on Petal.  She has been lonely these past two weeks and I will explain why.

Big Bill completed his road trip last night.   He had spent 13 happy days away and has been with friends in Reno, Marlies+ in Las Vegas and the Frus' in Albuquerque.  He is a tired Papa but came home with a big smile on his face.  He had a grand time.  Thanks to you who took such good care of him.  Our family and friends are his whole life.

Meantime, Mama Rosi has also been spending time away.  I have had monster big days at work, sometimes not getting done until 9 pm.  So some nights I spent at Dixie's, some at home and a couple at Luke's house. Developments at my work have been hard but satisfying.  I will explain.

Retirement has been looming in my face.  Two days this past week were devoted to finding a replacement for me.  My student teacher will be assuming the reins at MVHS Choir.  I had contacted BYU last spring to see if there would be a strong candidate who would need to do their student teaching this year.  Dr. Broomhead, my former colleague at the Y assured me that Brett Taylor was one of the three best choral students to go through BYU during his tenure.  I have worked with him now since January and I really think he is special.   About 20 people applied for the position, 5 were called in for an interview and 3 called back to do some teaching for us to observe.  There were about nine of us on the selection committee.  

I continue to pray that my heart strings which are attached to MVHS will sever and that Dad and I will be able to be healthy emotionally, physically and financially as I leave this era of my life.  It is no fun to think about getting old and that is the twin to my retirement.  I have appreciated your words of encouragement and hope that I won't fall into wrack and ruin and disuse as I retire.  I am getting stronger inside about it all and am hopeful that I can do as I tell my students "Buck up, Betty"..

Now I am trying to avoid feeling like a lame duck and so far I am successful.  They won't announce his appointment until after we get back from N.Y. on April 15th.  

Spring break begins tomorrow.  Dad and I are planning to drive up to Deb and Nick's house to help them pack for their move to Colorado.    I encouraged Nick to let me write a letter of recommendation to GE for him.  I can't imagine why he didn't follow through on that.  I would have made sure they stayed in Logan.  Irregardless, we wish them the best in this new adventure.  Moving IS an adventure.  I have had a few experiences and it is exciting.  

We are planning to go to the temple on Thursday morning with Luke and Amy to complete the temple sealing for the Mathews' grandparents..   Woody and Lorraine to Bill.  I completed Lorraine's endowment work in December.  We had neglected that.  Now it is up to them if they want to accept it.  Isn't  it interesting how much of life and eternity is left up to the individual involved.  At school, I tell my kids that they have to learn to manage themselves.  No one else can do it for them.  In the end, the responsibility rests on ME or YOU.   

I am still working with the University of Utah in behalf of the Institute for Young Dramatic Voices.  The challenge right now is to secure a performance hall for our concert.   The dates for the Institute this summer are June 23-July 13th.  This is our 7th year.  I have a meeting with those folks on Wednesday as we return from Logan.

School starts up again on Monday, April 8th and then we leave for New York at 11:30 pm (yep. midnight...we will fly through the night.) on April 9th.  We will be there from April 9-14.  Our date at Carnegie is all day on Saturday the 13th.  Along with other songs, we are singing "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing".  I feel this is a great choice as we will carry the spirit of our beliefs.  Our performance has the potential to really be a moving and magnificent experience..  I have had Prof. David Weiller in from Las Vegas (UNLV) this past week.  I contracted with him way last spring and he came in Sunday and worked until Friday.  He is a grand gentleman who was very helpful.  We set up experiences for him at 3 other high schools but he spent almost 2 days at MVHS.  He really helped us to tweak our songs.   There are about 145 students and 52 chaperones going on tour.   Almost 200 people.  Can you believe it?   I barely can.   We have GREAT tour parents who have managed the whole thing.  They are determined to celebrate my retirement at Carnegie Hall.  They plan to recognize me during our performance there...but I said NO.   (It would be embarrassing as folks back there have no idea who Rosi Mathews is. We are told that the Hall is almost totally sold out). But, it is clear that no one is listening to my NO.   What a deal.  It is exciting.

Marlies, I asked David Weiller if he might be interested in having his choir perform at your big fundraising event for Boys Town.  I told him that I would speak with you.  He says that his students are encouraged to do service and that it might work out if you are interested.  Please advise.

Jill, you and your new little boy, are in our thoughts and prayers.  What an exciting prospect...   to meet another beautiful little spirit.  Zoey is a real sweetheart.  Ask her Daddy, Nick O; he is smitten.   I can see Tim in the same state.

Wish that I could romp in the blue bonnets in Texas with the grandchildren down there.  However, Tamme says they have rain this Easter day. So, I will pass.

Our spring concert is May 15th.  I would love to have you come if you can...   drop on by.  It will be my last hurrah!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THIS APRIL TO:   Kole, 4/6; Woody, 4/2; Rosi, 4/7; Sadee, 4/11; Galilee, 4/12; Adam, 4/13; Lorraine, 4/19; Kael, 4/22; Tim, 4/30.
Wow, did I leave anyone out?

Love you

Grandma Rosi Mathews  

No comments:

Post a Comment