Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Plates of Gramma Rosi #18


Sunday, Sept 2, 2012

Hello Family,

It's been hard to make myself sit and write a letter tonight.  Dad and I have been home sick all day and I have no energy.  So this will be short.

I have not been to school since Tuesday.  Dad has been quite ill with a sinus infection and I had a sore throat the first of the week.  It was a nice and fair opportunity for me to stay at home and care for him.  Unfortunately, I have gotten more ill and he is still ailing.  Oh well, maybe we will feel better tomorrow.

I have been struggling with my new phone.  I was doing well the first couple of weeks, but since I started school it has been a struggle.  I have never been able to get voice mail messages.  On Saturday, Nick worked on it and finally turned the trick.  I had 33 voice messages.  Sorry if you left one and I didn't get back to you.

Last Monday night Ben called and wanted us to SKYPE (only through the Cisco method) Family Home Evening with his family.  After about 45 minutes (during which time he had several good laughs at our expense) we finally made the connection work.  It was so great to see those five kiddos.  They are growing and beautiful.  Even Kael was showing off and having fun.  They danced for us and then we all sang.  Simple but very, very sweet.  Ben tells me that we could do a conference call and hook up several families at once.  It would be so great to see you all.  We haven't seen Elle and Liam in quite a long time.

I had some important meetings this week. Both were with music departments chairs, one at the University of Utah and the other at Utah State.  Dolora flew into Salt Lake on Friday morning and I picked her up about 9 a.m.  We met with the people at the University of Utah at noon and spent 2 1/2 hours talking and touring their facility.  After that meeting we traveled towards Logan.  We stopped and went through the open house at the Brigham City Temple and then had dinner at Maddox.  We were guests at Utah State that night and then met with the Utah State people the next morning for breakfast, talks and a tour of their music area.  We are looking for a new home for the Institute.  We just completed our 6th summer at MVHS.  As you know, I will retire this year and so we have to find a different location.  I was happy that we could visit these two facilities and that we were welcomed.  At this point we will evaluate the pros and cons of each site and also consider a place in San Diego and another in Reno, Nevada.  It was fun to meet with the Big Wigs at these schools and develop a relationship with them.  I went to high school with the Utah State Chair.  Frankly, he might be 65 now, but he hasn't changed much.

On my way home from Logan (about 5:00 pm) there was an horrendous rainstorm from Roy to Centerville.  The rain was very heavy and there was hail in some areas the size of a 50 cent piece.  (I didn't see any hail on I 15.)  The travel was slow and I thought that I would hydroplane into the cars around me.  But this glorious thing happened.  I saw a beautiful, boldly colored, huge rainbow.  At Lagoon I felt like I had found the pot of gold as it appeared that I was driving through the end of it.  The colors seemed all around me.   (Dad explained to me that it was not possible for me to drive "through" a rainbow and since I didn't find the pot of gold, I guess he was right.)

It is the craziest thing.  I had thought that I would not plant a garden this summer.  I thought that I would just let our grow boxes sit.  Then one day Dad and I ended up at a nursery and I thought "Awe, come on Rosi, you can do it."  We purchased one tomato plant, one yellow squash plant and one cucumber plant, a bag of onion sets and some potato starts.  I put all of these items into our garden boxes in about 30 minutes.  RESULTS:  we have sown more cukes from that one plant than any other year; we have huge beefsteak tomatos that rival any I have every grown, we had a nice crop of yellow squash (I pulled that plant up a week ago) and tons of onions.  (The only disappointing plants were the potatoes.) This may not seem important to you guys, but it is really fun for me.  I usually check that garden about twice each day. Our yard looks good this year.  I have been doing some extra watering and it has helped.  (By the way, Amy has grown GREAT raspberry plants.  The last time we were there I went out and picked a nice handful of raspberries and quickly devoured them.  I didn't share them with Dad.  I was a piggie.)

I hope all is well with all of you.  We are okay.  WE LOVE YOU ALL and keep you in our prayers.

Dad and Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment