Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Genealogical question 14&15

 Dad: Now a days, I like to read Church Doctrine books /and Apostles life stories. A long time ago my favorites were action/ war stories.  I read everything from Sparks to WEB Griffith and Louis L'Mour. I have kept paperback books that I purchased while in Brigham City.  I have over 2,000 books in our basement now.  Some are hardback as well.


Mom:  I like a variety of books.  I have really enjoyed histories of the life of Joseph Smith.  I am currently working on a large, thick book Joseph, a rough stone rolling.  I am also reading Exodus by Leon Urus, The Hobbit, and The Infinite Atonement.  I am not putting pressure on myself on any of the books.  The religious books especially.  I will read a chapter or 5-6 pages and call it good. I like a good adventure story, but try to avoid bad language, torture, and abuse of people.  I like a good romance novel and don't mind a bit of war violence.  I like historical novels as well. 

Favorite Song or Lullaby?

Dad:  I enjoy many different categories of songs.  
Country and Western, Home on the Range, (hahaha) I like songs by Neal Diamond, Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand, and Whitney Houston.  
My favorite church songs are How Great Thou Art and I stand All Amazed. I loved to sing patriotic songs as well. The Star-Spangled Banner and the State Song Home Means Nevada
My favorite opera song that I sang is "Drink Drink Drink" from the Student Prince. I also loved to hear Mom sing Dove Sono from The Marriage of Figaro. 
I was in choir while in high school.  We had a wonderful male music teacher, Al Saliman. He could walk around the football field on his hands. We sang "No Man is an Island at my high school graduation.  It was a joy to sing with Al. When I was at UNR before I went in the Army, I sang with the Institute Choir at church "The Sierra Singers". I remember crying through the song I Need Thee Every Hour."  After the Army, I sang in the choir at UNR and I really enjoyed singing the Messiah.      
I loved some of Mom's choir songs Amor De Mi Alma by Z. Randall Stroope and Water Night by Eric Whitacre. 
My Mom (Lorraine) sang on the radio when she was a teenager. She sang like a baritone.  As she got older, she sang like a bass. Mom used to whistle while working around the house.  It was really neat.
Speaking of family, our missionaries (Luke, Marlies, Tim and Ben) each sang the same song at their Mission Farewell.  I can't remember the name of it, but it had real meaning to our family. 

Mom:  Music?  How do I cover such an important part of my life?  I have at least 15 chuck-full scrapbooks describing my musical journey through out mortality.  An important thought that I would like to share is that until about a year ago, I never really realized what a special musical gift God had given me (and the opportunities to use it that he placed on my path through life.) I was struck with awe, as the reality of this very special gift from God became clear to me.  "I must be someone special to have God trust me with this gift."  I thank Father in Heaven every day for this special gift and the other gifts of the Spirit He has given me.
Non classical songs:  Medley from Oliver that I sang with 2 very talented friends in Brigham City;Wagon Wheels high school duo with Sandra Obray Sorensen, I Would Trust Her from Pajama Game (duet with my cousin, Kim Allen); My Funny Valentine at a Stake Dance; Several Church solo songs. O That I Were an Angel, The Lord's Prayer, I Walked Today Where Jesus Walked, How Beautiful Upon the Mountains. 
Opera:  Donde Lieta from La Boheme (I loved it because it was easy for me).  My favorite opera that I performed was Tosca. I performed in over 20 operas during my career.  19 or so roles were the leading lady roles.  I still don't know if I have seen as many operas as I have performed.  I was so naive.  I didn't have an inkling of the great opportunities given to me.
While preparing for operas or recitals it was so much workthat I found it wasn't so much fun.  It was more fun to sing with friends and family and do lighthearted music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment