Wednesday, May 4, 2011

nick and deb sorensen

Wow, I really appreciate Tamme for keeping us all together. It has been CRAZY over here for the last month. Mostly with Nick's work. The kids took off to go to Amy's house for a week and Nick and I left of Washington DC to do some work for the University.

Our first day consisted of waking at 330am, driving to the airport with a crazy driver not to be named (AHHHH!!!), flying to Detroit, layover, flying into Allentown, PA, driving four hours to Bethesda, MA. With the time difference, etc, I think we had 3 hours of sleep before we got up to go to a USU aluminus' home right of Dupoint Circle in DC during the Cherry Blossom Festive. This man was donating anything he possibly could to the university. He is 94 and had determined that he was dying in 2 weeks time and wanted to get us stuff so his kids wouldn't give it away to places he didn't want it to go to. He has a HUGE collection of antique rugs from Asia that he donated and we were just rounding up the last bits of those and any other odds and ends he wanted us to take. Very interesting man.

At the end of the day we met up with a tour group of USU alumni to tour the Civil War Battlefields. It was a nonstop ride of every historical site (not really, but it felt like it) in 90 miles. Gettysburg, Fredricksburg, Antietam, Manassass, Harper's Ferry, Valley Forge, Fort McHenry, Richmond, the Confederate Whitehouse, Amish Country, Montecello, Shanandoah, and those were just the ones I can remember right now. Very wonderful experience.

Nick was meeting some of the top donors on this trip and he did very well. We even had one man comment to us that "the best thing that could happen to USU would be if I were hit by a truck" because he has so much money going to the University due to accidental death insurance. His boss, who technically isn't his boss anymore but still is, had him doing a lot as well and Nick loved being that busy. We came home exhausted.

Matthew suffered and ear infection while staying with Amy (poor Amy!) and Claire suffered cheering for BYU. When we called her one day, Amy warned us about...oh goodness, I can't remember very well, but it was a warning...then Claire gets on and says, "go BYU!" The girls were pretending to be cheerleaders for BYU! AH! Pretty hilarious. Amy got Matthew's eczema almost completely cleared up with her humidifier and water softener. He's been suffering ever since.

Now we're home and boy did I miss my kids. Enough to be grumpy with Claire about something trivial the same day I got home!

Yesterday in the store, Claire was WHINING! I put her in time out and she just screamed and screamed...in the store. I walked away for a few minutes (still within sight for you paranoid siblings) and she continued to scream. Finally, she calmed down and we chatted about not screaming and whining or we need to go to time out...anyway, she didn't want to get back in the cart, so I put her on my shoulders and within five minutes, I feel wet and Claire is SCREAMING on my head. Yeah, she barfed all over me and herself, and the floor. I took her to the bathroom, stripped her down and wrapped her in Matthew's coat and her shirt. 5 minutes later, she warns me that she needs to barf and I catch....some....of it in a store plastic bag...the rest is on my shoes and hers and her sort of clean shirt and Matthew's coat...we get home and she barfs and barfs...poor kid. Took her to the doctor today...she has an ear infection, too. Just a fun story to remember next time you're out shopping!

Love you all,
-deb

No comments:

Post a Comment